Kalindra Hill, Batu, East Java
If you have a morning to spend in Batu, I highly recommend visiting Kalindra Hills.
Being not athletic at all, the thought of hiking a mountain is daunting and quite frankly, terrifying. But I love nature, I REALLY DO, so instead of some challenging mountain, I chose to hike the beginner-friendly Kalindra Hill.I went with my boyfriend, Calvin, who just so happens to be my polar opposite; he is athletic and fit. The two main reasons that brought us to Kalindra were our mutual admiration for Batu's beautiful scenery, which always tends to soothe our minds, and the desire on my part to lose some weight through walks—the only exercise I truly love doing. This was my very first hiking experience, and even though Kalindra Hill stands just 1,500 meters above sea level, I could still feel the burn as we climbed. Call me weak or whatever, but despite the challenge, I had an amazing time, and my boyfriend did too. It was tiring yet rewarding in the best way possible.
Kalindra Hill is located in the Coban Talun area. In order to enter this place, one has to pay an entrance fee of 10,000 Rupiah each. The area is indeed very large and has such stunning scenery, making the ticket price so cheap. Also, facilities such as toilets need to be more well cared for or at least hygienic. In that connection, one better prepare oneself well in advance to stop first at a neat restroom along the way. On the other hand, I must commend the management of Coban Talun for their efforts to preserve the natural beauty of the area. The environment here is truly stunning, and it’s clear that they have done their best to protect it.
Getting to Kalindra Hill requires one to cross the greatest river I have ever seen in my life (nope, jk, exaggerating). Well, surprisingly in that river, there was a big chunk of cotton that was probably filled with some kind of peanut butter. (It is not about peanut butter, isn't it?). It came as such a huge surprise, but anyway shall we move on to the "big" adventure? Well, the way to get to the top of the hill was awesome: we got through the sea of hydrangeas. It was charming, yet I remember the story which my mother told me which said that hydrangeas are poisonous, and it turns out just a hoax.
I'm not going to lie, it was kind of shameful how close I came to giving up before reaching the top of the hill. My legs were burning, and I kept questioning if I could make it. Thankfully, my boyfriend was there to constantly remind me to stay calm and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. He led the way, always making sure I was careful, especially on the trickier paths. He told stories of his recent adventure in climbing Mount Welirang to get my mind off the effort, recounting every thrilling detail of how it was challenging and in what view he had faced up there. His encouragement and patience made all the difference in what felt to be an impossible climb turned into a memorable journey upward.The breathtaking view compensated for every step with its worth when we arrived upstairs. It was a small victory for me, and I could see how proud he was of me for not giving up. When we finally reached the top, the view was magnificent. We could see the famous tourist attractions in Batu: Selecta and Brakseng, with its green fields carpeting it. The most spectacular thing was the spread of Batu Town from atop the hill, all mixed in beautiful nature and an attractive cityscape. Oh, and I almost forgot to say, before the hike we bought some "gado-gado" - an Indonesian salad with peanut sauce - to have at the top. It was so delicious! We ended up eating it with our hands since we both forgot to bring any cutlery. A little silly, but it added to the fun and memorability of the experience.
Whatever the case, I will surely be back to this hill again just to enjoy its fresh air, great view, and serenity. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to get a taste of Batu's natural beauty with minimal mountainous effort.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment